View from the deck of our house-sit
POULSBO, WA -- We are spending two weeks in a lovely home with water views here in Western Washington. The homeowners are on vacation, in the Southeast, visiting Orlando and several other cities between there and Western North Carolina. It's complete coincidence, and somewhat amusing, that they are vacationing in the state where I grew up and the one where I've lived for 43 years.
Our charges are two cats of the Siamese persuasion, plus a number of plants that need to be watered daily to save them from the well-publicized drought.
One cat is a sociable fellow; the other sequestered herself underneath a cedar chest for most of the first 24 hours of our stay, making only furtive, terrified appearances. Saturday evening, she apparently decided I was not dangerous, and presented herself for a tummy rub and a chin scratch. I think we will get along just fine.
We are surviving the heat wave due to a nice breeze off the water. The house faces east, and by early afternoon, the deck is in the shade. Prince Charming and I spent most of Saturday out there, reading our kindles and watching various watercraft passing by.
It's a bit like what we often do at home, although we have to lug our camp chairs a block to a park to watch the boat traffic there. There is something to be said for hills.
We were delighted to learn that there is a Trader Joe's less than five miles from here. Saturday afternoon we went shopping to replenish our supplies.
Seattle is an easy and cheap ferry ride away. It promises to be an interesting two weeks.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment