Friday, May 07, 2010

B-r-r-r, Bryce, beautiful!


(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw

Farmers' irrigation iced up their equipment


One of many giant rock formations at Bryce Canyon

Too many spires to count

A 40-foot tall alien, perhaps?

The toll collector met us at the end of the trail


GLENDALE, UT -- The last time I visited Bryce Canyon, 18 years ago, I didn't think too much of the place. I was on a bicycle tour, and I didn't like going anywhere I couldn't go on my road bike.
Hiking to the bottom of the canyon and back nearly killed me.
Now I do less biking and more hiking, which allows me to enjoy and appreciate Bryce more than I did in 1992.
Prince Charming and I hiked about four miles up and down amongst Bryce's spires and odd natural sculptures Friday. Between us, we shot about 150 pictures, and choosing which ones to post here was difficult.
Yes, the sky really was that blue!
We woke up shivering Friday and with good reason. On the way to Bryce we saw convincing evidence it had gotten pretty cold overnight. Most irrigation systems along the highway were decorated with icicles. We saved on sunscreen because we hiked all day in long pants and long sleeves.
And no hike is ever complete without a cute squirrel begging for a handout.

No comments: