Saturday, May 08, 2010

Little birds and big ones

(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw

Arriving for breakfast

Safe landing

Whe-e-e-e-e-e!

Wild turkey struts his stuff

ZION NATIONAL PARK, UT -- I've been on scenery overload for so long that Saturday I found myself barely interested in more pictures of Zion, a place I've visited now five times.
It's still stunning, but I've shot all these pictures before.
My primary interest is wildlife anyway, and I haven't gotten a decent bird-shot since we left Florida two weeks ago.
That all changed when we stopped for breakfast in Mount Carmel Junction, UT, at a restaurant that had a number of hummingbird feeders hanging outside its windows. The feeders were quite popular, the light was great and I spent more time on these little guys that I did on my pancakes.
Later we scored a campsite inside Zion NP, $8 with Prince Charming's old-guy discount. During a bus-ride back from the depths of the canyon, I spotted a turkey near our campground, and after I got off the bus I went turkey hunting on foot.
Turned out there were two, male and female, and the big guy was nice enough to walk right out into the open and display his feathers for me. I've often seen wild turkeys in Florida, but never one this cooperative.

No comments: