©2014 Lydia Hinshaw
![]() |
| Good eating in Maine |
FREEPORT, ME --Thursday we arrived in this retail Mecca, home to L.L. Bean, the iconic mail order business that has its headquarters here. Other retailers have flocked here, and the entire downtown is lined with various designer outlets.
I was proud that we escaped with minimal purchases, in spite of the temptations. Whenever something nice caught my eye, I thought of my collection of T-shirts and fleece pullovers, currently stored in my home office in Ormond Beach. Every summer I wind up buying several things that I simply don't have the space to pack when we leave the next year. Much of it is also cooler-weather wear, mostly useless in Florida
So our major purchase here was a lobster and steamer-clam meal at Harraseeket, a dockside eatery we've visited multiple times over the years.
The food is great, although the protocol is puzzling. You order lobster at one window, and every other meal at a window around the corner. And at the lobster window, you can order sweet tea, but if you want unsweetened, you must go back around the corner and place a separate order at the "everything else" window.
I suppose there are good reasons for this. Ours not to reason why. We just try to remember the rules and enjoy the food.


No comments:
Post a Comment