(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw
NORTH RIM, AZ -- Since we're arrived here more than two months ago, we've heard lots of stories about the local herd of "beefalo," who are the results of someones long ago experiment with breeding cattle and bison.
I had begun to believe this was just some myth they use to tease new employees. I drive in and out of Grand Canyon National Park two or three times per week, and I never saw the beefalo.
Thursday morning I set out alone, bound for St. George to pick up eight new employees. Just after I passed through the park gate, there they were, a herd of about 25, grazing in a meadow. Several cars had stopped and I joined the group of photographers snapping away.
Since I would be returning with eight passengers and all their luggage, I was traveling light, with only a point-and-shoot in my backpack. I got some decent images anyway.
Next time, I hope I'll have my SLR and long lens.
I had begun to believe this was just some myth they use to tease new employees. I drive in and out of Grand Canyon National Park two or three times per week, and I never saw the beefalo.
Thursday morning I set out alone, bound for St. George to pick up eight new employees. Just after I passed through the park gate, there they were, a herd of about 25, grazing in a meadow. Several cars had stopped and I joined the group of photographers snapping away.
Since I would be returning with eight passengers and all their luggage, I was traveling light, with only a point-and-shoot in my backpack. I got some decent images anyway.
Next time, I hope I'll have my SLR and long lens.

No comments:
Post a Comment