Sunday, July 11, 2010

My new Best Friends

(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw

Blue-fronted Amazon

KANAB, UT -- Saturday my job assignment was to take a group of employees to the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary here. We all volunteered to help out for a few hours.
Naturally I was interested in working with cats, but when we arrived at the vast property, we learned we would be painting a room in one of the dog kennels. But first, we got a brief tour of some of the other pet areas.
I particularly liked the bird area, populated by a number of comic characters. This blue-fronted Amazon was about the most colorful and also the one I got the best picture of, since this required shooting through the wire walls of the aviary.
Another interesting note -- the dog kennel where we worked is the court-ordered lifelong home for two of the dogs confiscated in the Michael Vick prosecution.
Best Friends is truly an interesting place.

www.bestfriends.org

No comments: