Tillamook Rock LighthouseCopyright 2006 Lydia Hinshaw
SEASIDE, OR -- There are 363 miles of coastline in Oregon, and it appears it will take us 10 or more days to finish the drive. Around every bend in U.S. 101 there's another viewpoint that screams at us to stop and take a picture.
Both of these shots were taken from vantage points in Ecola State Park, one of the dozens of state parks along the road.
Overcast skies didn't mar the view of Cannon Beach. And a sudden shaft of sunlight hit the lighthouse while I was trying to get a good picture of it from more than a mile away.
I'm always chasing lighthouse pictures for my brother who is a lighthouse buff (and who is not to be confused with my other brother, for whom I shoot pictures of abandoned mines and mining equipment.)
Tillamook Rock Lighthouse still looks the part, but it's been out of service since 1957, is privately owned and is used as a columbarium, according to the tourist brochure published by Oregon State Parks.
Fortunately, the brochure goes on to explain what a columbarium is -- "a storage place for ashes of the deceased." So in addition to enjoying splendid views, I've also upgraded my vocabulary this trip.
Ecola, incidentally, comes from a Native American word meaning "whale."
Gray whales migrate up and down this coast, but it's the wrong time year to see them right now and we haven't spotted one yet.
Both of these shots were taken from vantage points in Ecola State Park, one of the dozens of state parks along the road.
Overcast skies didn't mar the view of Cannon Beach. And a sudden shaft of sunlight hit the lighthouse while I was trying to get a good picture of it from more than a mile away.
I'm always chasing lighthouse pictures for my brother who is a lighthouse buff (and who is not to be confused with my other brother, for whom I shoot pictures of abandoned mines and mining equipment.)
Tillamook Rock Lighthouse still looks the part, but it's been out of service since 1957, is privately owned and is used as a columbarium, according to the tourist brochure published by Oregon State Parks.
Fortunately, the brochure goes on to explain what a columbarium is -- "a storage place for ashes of the deceased." So in addition to enjoying splendid views, I've also upgraded my vocabulary this trip.
Ecola, incidentally, comes from a Native American word meaning "whale."
Gray whales migrate up and down this coast, but it's the wrong time year to see them right now and we haven't spotted one yet.


No comments:
Post a Comment