Sunday, October 01, 2006

San Juan Island memories

Lime Kiln Point Lighthouse

Sheltering elm

Copyright 2006 Lydia Hinshaw

FRIDAY HARBOR, WA -- I was chasing memories and Prince Charming was enjoying a new adventure Friday when we took the ferry from Anacortes to this tourist town on San Juan Island.
The island is too big to see on foot, so we wound up renting a car for four hours so we could take in sights that I hadn't seen before, like the Lime Kiln Point Lighthouse, which is part of a park where whales often pass by. We didn't see any whales, although we did spot several seals. Since seals are food for whales, we figured their presence meant the whales were lunching elsewhere.
The unusual elm tree in the second picture shelters the front yard of what is now an art museum in Friday Harbor. On my first visit here, on a bicycle tour in the summer of 1991, the place was a restaurant. I had dinner with two good friends at an outdoor table under the tree.
The San Juans also brought back memories of a great book I once read, called Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson, which takes place in a fictionalized version of this area.
After our day on San Juan Island, we spent Saturday braving Seattle traffic, an adventure which made us long for the empty highways of Alaska, British Columbia and the Yukon. Today we're off to explore Olympic National Park.

No comments: